Monday 6 May 2013

GOVAN


February 2013
Govan
Having just arrived back from Copenhagen- I have arrived in the midst of the Govan project. The group have decided the concept for the piece, therefore I have offered my help making and sewing the piece. Which is to be a flag representing different parts of Govan.
The flag is however, the external perception of the place from the perspective of the group of students. This concerns me somewhat- and I’m worried that the piece may come across as either a juvenile or from an elitist perspective.  But it is not my place to offer my perspective having only just arrived.

I look through photos with Olivia, who having returned a month previously from exchange, has visited Govan with her camera. This gives me a visual reference point for Govan; from the pictures it looks somewhat bleak in places, but also imbued with a lot of character- Gharish yellow signs catch my attention, and ‘Gold’ advertisements a plenty.  I like the tension created between these two aesthetics, and from speaking to the group this seems largely how they themselves perceive Govan; Bleak and depressing in places, but with the glitter and gold tainted hopes of another future.

I decide to illustrate this through the colours I choose in my addition to the flag: choosing a brown back ground with luminous orange/yellow lettering. I carefully draw the 1970’s playful type and cut and stick it together. Olivia simultaneously sews a ‘sale’ sign for gold and Irn Bru together in luminescent colours.  I’m worried they seem atypical impressions of a working class Glasgow from middle class perspectives. But maybe I’m overthinking it, and maybe they are an illustration of the reality of the place and its people… 

No comments:

Post a Comment